Coneyboro – Kildare

Testing 123

A successful story of partnership with a local authority featured on the RTE 6.1 news and Morning Ireland. The collaborative efforts of Athy Town Council, Kildare County Council and Clúid led to the completion of a previously unfinished estate in Athy, increasing the value of the entire 400 dwelling estate.

The brand new two and three bed properties in Coneyboro were provided to 35 households, including 30 families, from the Athy Town Council’s housing waiting list. The new residents had been waiting seven years on average on the waiting list.

Clúid agreed to purchase the thirty-five unfinished properties at a cost of €2,625,000 using a government deposit of 30% of the total cost to leverage the remaining 70% through private finance. This enabled NAMA to invest in the Developer who was then able to complete outstanding works, including the road and green areas.

Everyone benefitted; the new tenants who had been waiting seven years on the social housing waiting list, the Developer, the local authority, NAMA and the 400 other residents in the estate.

The properties are part of a bigger estate of 400 dwellings. Previous to Clúid’s involvement on the estate, neighbours had to contend with serious vandalism and anti-social behaviour on the remaining derelict properties. The majority of the houses bought by Clúid were in the unfinished areas of the estate, in particular Coney Green which faced onto a large open space and was the focus of the antisocial behaviour attracted to the estate. The high profile estate has featured in the news headlines due to a fatal shooting in April 2013 and a pipe bomb found in November 2012. There was also a lot of concern for the condition of the roads and open spaces on the estate.

As a result of the completed estate, the demand for all the properties in Coneyboro has increased and the estate is now an attractive development to live in.

 

Gallery

Where We Have Built

Carlow

134 Units

Cavan

38 Units

Cork

476 Units

Donegal

130 Units

Dublin

191 Units

Galway

111 Units

Kerry

103 Units

Kilkenny

18 Units

Laois

147 Units

Leitrim

10 Units

Limerick

78 Units

Longford

8 Units

Louth

117 Units

Mayo

39 Units

Meath

40 Units

Monaghan

12 Units

Offaly

47 Units

Roscommon

25 Units

Sligo

91 Units

Tipperary

213 Units

Waterford

99 Units

Wexford

91 Units

As a result of Clúid providing a home to 35 new households in this estate, the works that were required to complete the estate are finished. My community is so enriched.

CLLR. THOMAS REDMOND - CATHAOIRLEACH OF ATHY TOWN COUNCIL